Michael (Mihalis) Kuyucu attended ‘International Conference on Social Sciences and Humanieties’ (SOCIO- IN14) which was arrenged in İstanbul. He told about the Focus Group works’ findings which he made with the Greek television audiences in his notice which tells about the Turkish Series which is exported to abroad ‘Muhteşem Yüzyıl’ and its ‘Greek’ sample in a conference which was arranged on the 8-10 of September, 2014.
Kuyucu who examined the watching habits of ‘Muhteşem Yüzyıl’ which is broadcasted in Greece and breaks rating records, explained in his notice why the Greek community watch ‘Muhteşem Yüzyıl’. The result of the Kuyucu’s research which he made in Greece contains interesting political and social findings. He explained in his notice which is named as “EVALUATION OF THE ECONOMIC and CULTURAL EFFECTS OF THE TURKISH SOAP OPERAS and TV SERIES EXPORTED TO WORLD TVs in THE EXAMPLE OF ‘MUHTEŞEM YÜZYIL’ and GREECE” why the Greek community watch ‘Muhteşem Yüzyıl’ which is broadcasted as ‘Souleiman O Megaloprepis’ in Greece.
Michael Kuyucu collected the effects of the Turkish Series on the Greek People in four different groups in his notice:
- The comments which made for economic reasons,
- The comments which was about the life style,
- The comments for Turkish language,
- Ideologic and cultural comments,
The Greek Community wants to Import a Politician From Turkey
There are very interesting informations in the findings that Michael Kuyucu made in Greece. The most interesting one of these is the comments of the Greek community about Turkish politicians. The Greek who attended the research, said that their politicians are clumsy because of their crisis, they also commented that we should import not only series but also politicians from Turkey. The Greek community emphasised that all of the Turkish series which are broadcasted in Greece create intimacy between Turkey and Greece. The Greek Community indicated that the friendship between Turkey and Greece was provided thanks to Turkish series.
Opinions of the Greek Community About ‘Muhteşem Yüzyıl’:
- The place and the life in the series are very nice. Are these places exist in Istanbul? Does the life in Turkey looks like in the series?
- Dizide rol alan sultanların kıyafetleri ilgimi çekiyor.
- How does Turkey do such kind of productions? It is good to see this sector’s capacity is big enough. We can not do such kind of productions.
- Thanks to these kind of series we have a chance to see Turkey’s economy and social developments.
- I know Turkey, thanks to series.
- We want to go to Turkey to see the places in ‘Muhteşem Yüzyıl’.
- While we are watching Turkish series, we see that dad still says the last word in Turkey. Turkish life style interests me. There are stil ‘family’ and ‘faithfulness’ notion in Turkey.
- Thanks to DVD’s of Turkish series which are given with television magazines which sold on Friday, there is an increasing of magazine selling.
- We like Turkish artists. There is a fan club for Meryem Uzerli who acts Hürrem character in “Muhteşem Yüzyıl” and Burak Hakkı who is the headliner of ‘Yer Gök Aşk’.
- Does Turkey really has this wealthy life which seen Turkish series?
- We should import not only series but also politicians from Turkey.
- Turkish is a very good language. I want to learn it.
In the notice which Assistant Professor Michael Kuyucu published, he highlighted that the Greek community has learned Turkish thanks to Turkish series. In the research, the Greek community indicated that they learn Turkish language, thanks to both Greek subtitles and original Turkish. There are Turkish words in the notice which the Greek community has learned mostly: